Simbang Gabi is a tradition by Filipinos as a means of preparation for Christmas.
It starts on the 9th day before Christmas (December 16). Mass will start early dawn, usually around 4am or 4:30am.
People will go to this dawn mass consecutively from December 16 to 24.
Me and my family arrives 1 hour before the mass.
This gives me time to sketch people.
These are my sketches within December 16 to December 24 time frame.
Through out my sketches, I have observed several things.
- People go in spite the typhoon. Waterproof faith.
- People show love and affection. It’s still dark outside, yet the love and affection glows in them.
- Strong family ties is being demonstrated all through out because they usually went to mass with their families.
- Some people will go to work after the mass, thus, they are wearing uniforms already.
- The stool (small chairs) are usually used so they can sit anywhere.
- Even large people sits on this small chair. And I always have this in mind that anytime that chair will break. But it didn’t.
- Consistent people are sitting and standing on the same location almost everyday. Even though I don’t know them, but I started to get familiarize these people because I always meet them every day.
It’s a wonderful tradition here in the Philippines.